Things to do before you plan to move
4 Weeks before the move* Settle all outstanding bills
* Start collecting boxes
* Notify your real estate agent/landlord of your moving date
* If you require a removalist, book them for the required date. Otherwise, consider booking a truck or trailer for your move
* If you require a cleaner or gardener, book them for the required date
* Begin packing all the items you don't need until you move to your new property
* Take note of what items are fragile or need bubble wrapping/special care
* Dispose of your unwanted items - donate, throw out or sell.
* If required, book storage facilities
3 Weeks before the move* Attach inventory lists to each box as you pack them, including what room they're for.
* Organise important paperwork into a box so you can easily access when needed.
* If you have pets, notify your new council for re-registering.
* Notify anyone who needs to know of your new address, such as banks, employers, the ATO etc. Australia Post's Notify Organisations service can help you arrange address notifications and mail redirections for banks, memberships, car registration/driver's license, Medicare, superannuation, insurance, frequent flyer and other loyalty programs.
2 Weeks before the move* Contact Moveinconnect on 1300 786 045 or complete our online application form at www.moveinconnect.com.au to connect your utilities
* Arrange a cleaner for your existing home once you've moved out
* Arrange your final meter read/disconnections for your utilities
* *If required* arrange for a baby sitter to look after the kids on moving day
1 Week before the move* Organise a property inspection
* Empty and clean your fridge and pantry, clean the interior of your oven
* Plan ahead for the first night in your new home with sufficient clothing, toiletries, sheets and towels so you don't have to immediately sort through boxes.
* Carry all important documents and valuables with you on your move - passports etc.
* Towards the end of the week, precook a meal for the first night in your new home
Moving Day!* Do a final check of the property before leaving
* Turn off the gas, electricity, water and all switches
* Hand your keys to the real estate agent/owner/tenant
* Leave a note for the new occupants detailing your new address for mail redirection.
* Prioritise rooms or furniture you will need on the first night i.e. beds, cots, a few chairs if needed.