How to connect electricity & gas in a new rental property
img Mon-Fri 9AM to 8PM (AEST)
1300 786 045

How do I connect electricity and gas in my new rental?

When you’re moving house to a new rental property, the worst-case scenario is moving in to find out there is no power for your first night!

So, how do I connect electricity to my rental property? The process of setting up gas and electricity in a rented house varies slightly depending on the way the utilities are set up. This page will take you through the most common scenarios you will come across when moving utility services to a rental property.

On this page is information to set up electricity in these scenarios:

  • Separately metered electricity and gas
  • One meter
  • Embedded network
  • Utilities included

If you are unsure about how your new home’s energy connection is set up, ask your real estate about the electricity connection type.

How do I connect electricity and gas in my new rental - Move In Connect

Separately metered electricity and gas

Rental properties with their own separate meter are the most common way of connecting electricity to rental properties in Australia. It simply means that your property has its own gas and electricity meters to track your usage. Separately metered rentals are common for houses, townhouses and some smaller apartment complexes.

If you are moving into a separately metered home the process of setting up gas and electricity in a rented house is similar to moving into an owner-occupied home. 

  1. Disconnect your current electricity and gas by calling your retailer.
  2. Compare electricity plans in your new area (and gas if required)
  3. Decide on your new power supplier and plan.
  4. Set up electricity online or by calling 1300 786 045.
  5. Book your new electricity connection date.

Don’t worry if this sounds like too much to fit in among the rest of your move – our moving utilities services can take care of it all for you in one easy phone call, and it’s 100% free of charge! Either give us a call on 1300 786 045 or enter your details online for help moving house electricity connections and connection gas to houses.

You should also confirm with your real estate that the electricity connection is in good working order and already connected to the grid. While it is unusual to find a rental that isn’t connected, if it has been vacant for an extended period or if it is a new build, it might need connecting. It is your landlord’s responsibility to arrange and pay for the connection before the start of your lease unless other arrangements have been agreed upon in the terms of your lease.

Separately metered electricity and gas

Even if your new home is connected to the grid, the power will not work until you have signed up to a plan. It’s important to arrange your utilities in advance and advise your new retailer of your move-in date so that your new property’s electricity and gas connections can be set up on time.

Connecting electricity to a rental property can usually be done in 1 to 2 business days, whereas a new gas connection can take 3 to 5 days. It’s a good idea to let your retailer know as early as possible, once you know your move-in date.

With a separate meter, you will be able to choose from the same range of providers and plans as owners. Some key features to look out for when you’re renting are:

  • No lock-in contracts or exit fees
  • Waived connection and disconnection fees
  • Discounted rates
  • Incentives and rewards
  • A solar feed-in tariff (if your rental has a separate meter and solar panels, you can benefit from a solar feed-in tariff in the same way an owner would)

Your agent might offer to refer you to a real estate electricity connection service when you sign your lease. These services arrange moving gas, electricity and other utilities all in one phone call. This can be a great way to make sure all your utilities are connected before the day you move.

However, it’s important to understand that these connection companies are different from comparison companies, and they won’t compare plans to find you the cheapest one. The real estate electricity connection company might have a deal with specific providers, which might not be the best option for your energy needs.

The utility connection service offered by your real estate agent is an opt-in service. As an alternative, call Move-In Connect where we offer a comparison and connection service combined, so you can be sure we’ll find you a great deal for your new rental home.

One meter

If you are moving into an apartment or a complex with only one electric and gas meter for the whole site, then it is your landlord’s responsibility to pay for the connection and supply charges for the utilities. You may be charged a portion of the usage charges, or they may be included in your rent.

Electricity, gas, internet, and water might all be set up differently, so you could be responsible for some utilities and not others.

It’s important to discuss the utilities with your real estate agent or landlord before you move in, so you understand the terms and conditions of what is payable by you. The utilities, or portion of utilities, that you will need to pay should be clearly defined in your tenancy agreement and you should be sure that you understand if any aspect of setting up gas and electricity in a rented house is your responsibility. Don’t be afraid to ask questions if it isn’t clear.

Embedded network

An embedded network is a type of electricity network where the owner of the property buys electricity in bulk from a retailer and resells it to their tenants. Embedded networks are sometimes found in apartment buildings, retirement villages, caravan parks and shopping centres, although some states, such as Victoria, are introducing restrictions on them in new builds.

If you are moving into a rental property that is part of an embedded network, then you will pay your electricity bill to your landlord, rather than an energy retailer. Your landlord must become an ‘exempt seller’ with the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) and abide by certain rules that are designed to protect you.

The most important rule is that they cannot charge you more than the government’s regulated price for your electricity usage. If you are concerned that they are exploiting this rule, you should contact your state’s ombudsman to lodge a complaint.

You should also be aware that it is not always compulsory to join the embedded network. You may still be able to opt for a plan from an energy retailer instead. If you do choose this option, make sure you discuss with your landlord and retailer who you will pay the supply charges to. 

The landlord will already be paying the supply charge to their retailer and charging you a portion as part of your tenancy agreement. The retailer you sign up with will also charge you a supply charge, so you are at risk of paying twice. 

Some retailers have an ‘electricity only’ plan, or you might be able to negotiate with your landlord to not pay the supply charge to them so that you don’t end up out of pocket if you are connecting electricity to new property with an embedded network.

Utilities included

If your lease states that your utilities are included in your rent, then moving house gas and electricity is easy – you have nothing to do but move in!

Utilities include electricity, gas, water, internet, and even pay TV, so you should check which ones are included, as you will still need to arrange the others yourself.

If broadband and Pay TV Australia are included, you will need to check the service you will receive to see if it meets your needs. 

The broadband included in apartment blocks can often be slow and prone to network congestion, so if you work from home or need the internet for gaming or streaming content, you might need to arrange your own plan to access higher speeds.

Pay TV Australia will most likely include a basic cable or satellite connection, so if you want to watch movies and tv shows through additional streaming services in Australia such as Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video or Paramount+, you will usually need to set up these plans yourself.

Useful Links

Now that you know what to expect from the process of connecting electricity and gas to your rental property, give us a call or enter your details online to get started.

Or for more information, try some of these useful articles:

FAQs About Moving House Electricity Connections

Cost to connect electricity to a new house Australia?

When moving house electricity connections, you will be charged a connection fee by the distributor. The cost varies for each distributor from as little as $6 to as much as $90. Your distributor is determined by the area you live in, so unfortunately, there is no way to shop around to find the best deal on your connection fee.

Connecting gas to house when renting

If your new home has existing access to the grid or an LPG connection, then connecting gas to houses is straightforward. Make sure you give your chosen retailer at least 3 business days’ notice before your desired date for connecting gas to houses to avoid delays. 

If there is no existing gas connection, you will need to talk to your landlord or real estate agent to discuss if installing gas is an option.

Can I set up electricity online?

Yes, choosing to set up electricity online when moving house electricity connections can be a fast and convenient way to power up your new home. Before you set up electricity online, make sure you have compared energy plans from the different providers in your area – it can save you hundreds of dollars every year, so it’s worth the effort. For expert advice, free of charge, when moving house gas and electricity, simply enter your details online or call 1300 786 045.

How much notice should I give when moving house gas and electricity?

The key to moving house gas and electricity without stress is planning! Make sure to give at least three business days’ notice for moving house electricity connections and five business days for gas.