Should I use a utility connection service when I move home?
If you have ever moved into a rental property, you might remember your real estate offering a utility connection service to connect electricity and gas to your new home. With all the stress and hard work that comes with moving house, this can be a great way to take some of the load off your shoulders, but it’s important to understand what you are signing up for before you commit to a new service.
This page compares real estate connection services with Move-In Connect’s moving service so you can be fully informed when you move.
- At a glance: Move-In Connect vs real estate utility connection services
- What does a utility connection service do?
- What does Move-In Connect do?
- How do I get started?
At a glance: Move-In Connect vs real estate utility connection services
Take a look at the table below to see the services offered by Move-In Connect’s comparison and moving service vs a real estate connection company.
|Feature||Move-In Connect||Utility Connection Service|
|Compare plans to save you money||✅||❌|
|Disconnect current utilities||✅||❌|
|Book movers and cleaners||✅||❌|
What does a utility connection service do?
When you move into your new rental property, your real estate agent might give you the option of using their partner utility connection service. This is an opt-in service, often as a tick box on your lease agreement, so you are under no obligation to use them.
If you do choose to use this service, they will act as a one-stop shop to connect all your utilities on your move-in date.
You should double-check which utilities are included. They will usually include electricity and gas, but could also include water, broadband and pay TV. Any utilities that aren’t included will need to be set up separately by yourself.
- A real estate utility connection service is free of charge. They make their money through commissions from energy companies when they activate a new connection
- They are a convenient way to get your utilities connected, simply by ticking a box when you sign your lease.
- Even though they are free, using a utility connection service could cost you money in the long run. Many of these services are owned by energy companies, so they will sign you to their parent company’s plans. Without the option to compare with other deals on the market, you might end up paying for a more expensive plan that you don’t need.
Before you commit to a new plan, make sure you understand the contract length and exit fees, so that you don’t unwittingly end up in a long contract that you can’t get out of.
- Some services claim to be independent, however, they are usually connected to certain energy companies as a way to earn their commission, so being independent doesn’t necessarily mean being impartial.
- They often have partnerships with other marketing companies that they will share your data with, so you are likely to receive a number of emails and phone calls.
- You will still have a lot of admin left to do yourself – you’ll need to disconnect your current utilities, book your removalist and cleaners and connect to any additional utilities not covered by the service. Read on to find out how Move-In Connect can take care of all of this for you.
What does Move-In Connect do?
Move-In Connect is an alternative to a connection service. We help households and small businesses with every aspect of moving. Not only does our connection guarantee mean we’ll make sure you’re connected on the day you move, but we will also compare electricity and gas plans, so you can be sure you’re getting the cheapest deal.
How does it work?
Move-In Connect is a completely free service that takes the hassle out of moving. From finding the best deal to booking the connection, we’ll do it all in just one easy phone call.
- One of our moving experts will talk to you about the energy usage in your new home. Based on your usage habits, your new location, the size of your household and any unique factors such as solar panels, a swimming pool, or underfloor heating, we will recommend the best plan from our carefully appointed panel of preferred suppliers.
As well as finding you the cheapest energy plan, our comparison tool will help you compare broadband and pay TV plans.
- Once you have decided on the best plan(s) for you, our moving utilities services will do all the hard work. We will arrange to disconnect your current utilities, connect your new home and even book your removalist and cleaners if you need them. All you need to do is sit back and enjoy the move!
How do I get started?
Comparing your utility plans when you move can lead to some significant savings – our customers save on average $400 per year!
Even if you have ticked yes to a utility connection service through your real estate, it’s still worth giving us a call to compare electricity and gas plans to see if we can save you money. It’s 100% free of charge with no obligation to switch, so you’ve got nothing to lose and a lot to save!
There’s enough to take care of when you move – let Move-In Connect make it hassle-free. Simply call 1300 786 045 to talk to one of our experts, or click Connect Me Now and enter your details online.